Migrate to work

Update on NT General Skilled Migration (GSM) nomination applications for 2024-25

The Australian Government is yet to provide the Northern Territory with nomination allocations under the GSM program for 2024-25. As such, the nomination program remains closed for now.

Once allocations have been received, we will update this website with information on the reopening of the program and relevant eligibility criteria.

Those who have visas expiring should seek professional advice on their visa options and ensure that they remain lawful in Australia.

Visas that need a nomination from an employer

General skilled migration visas

These visas are for young, skilled people with good levels of English:

The subclasses 491 and 190 visas need a nomination from an Australian state or territory government such as Australia's Northern Territory Government.

Chef cooking at stove, pan is on fire

MINT program

The Migration Innovation Northern Territory (MINT) program is an initiative owned by the Darwin Innovation Hub and Paspalis Asset Management and supported by the Northern Territory Government.

The program assists overseas nationals get Northern Territory Government nomination. They need to show commitment to involvement with the Darwin Innovation Hub.

For further information, go to the Paspalis website.

If you are a New Zealand citizen

If you are a New Zealand citizen, your transition to life in Australia's Northern Territory couldn't be easier. Upon setting foot in Australia, you will automatically receive a Special Category visa (SCV). This grants you the freedom to live, work, visit and study in Australia indefinitely, and qualify for citizenship after 4 years.

From 1 July 2023, all New Zealand citizens who meet relevant criteria and hold a SCV can apply directly for citizenship (by conferral). Criteria includes having lived in Australia for 4 years.

If you are a New Zealand permanent resident, you need to apply for a suitable visa in order to enter Australia.

Check your eligibility and visas options on the Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs website.

To work in some occupations you will need to meet registration and licensing requirements and your employers may require evidence of qualifications and work experience.

Your family

If you are a New Zealand citizen, holding an SCV but your family members are not New Zealand citizens, they may be eligible for a New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461).

Skilled and employer sponsored visa programs

If you are not eligible for SCV, you may be eligible for a skilled and/or employer sponsored visa programs such as:

Read the NT migration occupation list to see if your skills are in demand in the Northern Territory.

Other Australian Government programs

The Innovation and Early Careers Skills Exchange Pilot provides skilled UK citizens the opportunity to take their next career step in Australia. Read more information on the Innovation and Early Careers Skills Exchange Pilot on the Australian Government's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.

The Skills Development Exchange Pilot gives organisations in Australia and Indonesia the opportunity to send employees to undertake workplace placements for up to 12 months in the other country. Read more information about the Skills Development Exchange on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.


Migrate to the Territory, Australia

View the transcript for the Migrate to the Territory, Australia video.

Page last updated 1 July 2024