Work after your studies

You need to apply for a new working visa if you are interested in staying in Australia after you completed your course.

As a graduated international student, you can:

  • apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) if you have completed a bachelor, masters or doctoral degree, find out more on the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website
  • submit and expression of interest to seek approval to stay in Australia as a professional worker through the Australian Government's SkillSelect
  • lodge an application for skills migration with the Northern Territory Government, read more on migrate to work.

The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) has two streams: the Graduate Work stream and the Post-Study Work stream.

The Graduate Work stream is for international students who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to occupations in the Australian Government skilled occupation list. A visa in this stream is generally granted for 18 months.

The Post-Study Work stream offers extended options for working in Australia to eligible graduates of a higher education degree. Under this stream, successful applicants are granted a visa with a period of two, three or four years' duration.


Professional year student

View the video transcript of the international student internship at TCA video.

Page last updated 18 February 2022