Study NT has established the Study NT International Student Accommodation Grant to assist international students, who are considering moving to the Northern Territory (NT), with their relocation to Darwin. The grant will cover the first four weeks of the student’s accommodation fee at either UniLodge Darwin at Casuarina or International House Darwin, located on-campus at Charles Darwin University (CDU).
Applications are open to international students who have been accepted to study with an international education and training provider in the NT. Before applying, students should familiarise themselves with the terms and conditions of this grant program.
Get the Study NT International Student Accommodation Grant guidelines.
- Who can apply
- The applicant must not already live in the NT when applying for this grant.
- The applicant must be planning to move to the NT from interstate or overseas.
- The applicant must not hold current Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residency.
- The applicant must have applied and obtained an offer of admission to study in the NT. Study NT requires evidence of acceptance to transfer to or commence study at the applicant’s chosen NT education and training provider (confirmation of enrolment document from the student’s institution).
- International students enrolled in short courses or non-accredited courses are not eligible to apply. The course must be at least a duration of 24 weeks to be eligible to apply for this grant.
- The student’s course must commence prior to 1 June 2022 and the four week accommodation must commence by this date.
- The accommodation grant is available for one person only, couples and dependents are not eligible to stay at the accommodation provider.
- What you can get
- When you can apply
The student’s course must commence prior to 1 June 2022 and the four week accommodation must commence by this date.
- How to apply
Step 1. Download and fill in the application.
Step 2. Email the signed application to email@example.com.
If your application is approved by Study NT, you will be notified by email.
Once the application is approved by Study NT, applicants must then apply online with the accommodation provider. Further information will be provided by Study NT.
- Terms and conditions
- Application forms are to be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A Study NT representative assesses all applications to determine successful grant applicants.
- The Study NT International Student Accommodation Grant is only awarded to genuine prospective students.
- The application process consists of two steps. Once the applications is approved by Study NT, the applicant must apply online with the accommodation provider.
- Applicants must currently reside outside the NT.
- Applicants are not guaranteed of being awarded the Study NT International Student Accommodation Grant.
- Accommodation is subject to availability. Room availability cannot be guaranteed. Successful applicants will receive four weeks accommodation (based on accommodation for up to a maximum of $175 per week) at UniLodge or International House Darwin.
- Accommodation at UniLodge is subject to the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS)* and all applicants need to undertake a yearly income check.
- Accommodation at International House Darwin is available to prospective CDU students only. An entry interview applies.
- Successful applicants at either accommodation provider must commit to a minimum six months contract and adhere to the conditions of that provider’s contract, including lease break arrangements. Applicants must notify the accommodation provider two weeks prior to planning on moving out of the property.
- Successful applicants must agree to the accommodation provider’s terms and conditions.
- A refundable security bond (four weeks rent), a residential life program fee ($50 per year) and a departure cleaning fee of $150 applies for UniLodge Darwin.
- A refundable rental bond (four weeks rent) and an application fee of $70 applies at International House Darwin.
- Applications must be submitted at least 15 business days prior to the commencement of study or relocation to Darwin.
- If the applicant is required to quarantine in the NT, Study NT will not cover associated costs or other relocation costs.
- Funding is limited and awarded at Study NT’s discretion.
- Applications under this grant program close at 3pm (ACST) on 1 June 2022.
*The NRAS threshold depends on the apartment type. Below is an example for the 2021-22 NRAS year:
Household composition Initial income limit Existing tenant income limit One adult $52,795 $65,994 Two adults $72,993 $91,242 Three adults $93,191 $116,489 Four adults $113,389 $141,737