Creating Ongoing Local Jobs and Boosting Investor Confidence in the Territory
In another sign of investor confidence in the Northern Territory Santos has announced further development to their Barossa project with awarding of the contract for the Floating Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) facility, located 300kms north of Darwin with further final investment decisions being made by 2021.
With a number of gas projects on the horizon, the Territory is in a position for continued ongoing jobs in this sector.
- Joint $1.2 billion McDermott and Darwin Clean Fuels project to create a cleaner, greener fuel processing plant in Middle Arm.
- Works are expected to begin in early 2021 – creating 140 ongoing jobs and 400 jobs during construction.
- Western Australian chemical company Coogee commenced a feasibility study into a methanol plant near Darwin. The 350,000 tonne per annum plant will also be located at Middle Arm industrial precinct.
- A final investment decision is expected in early 2021, with construction commencing soon after, estimating 350 ongoing jobs and 1000 jobs during construction.
Kittyhawk micro LNG Project:
- Western Australian Company Gold Valley Energy Pty Ltd and Chinese company ENN Ecological Holdings Co. Ltd signed a Memorandum of Understanding last month for a $100 million investment into the Kittyhawk micro LNG Project at Middle Arm, to sell LNG and provide cheaper, cleaner energy source to remote, high demand users within 1500km of Darwin.
- Construction is due to commence in early 2021 creating 40 ongoing jobs and 100 jobs during construction.
Quotes attributed to Chief Minister Michael Gunner:
“It took a Labor Government to deliver INPEX and it’s taken a Labor Government to deliver the post INPEX plan, which the CLP failed to do."
“The Labor Government is now delivering on its promise to make the Territory a world class hub for gas production and manufacturing and services."
“Private sector investment creates strong economic growth and more local jobs - especially more permanent jobs. This is how we break out of the Territory’s boom and bust cycle, and this is why the Territory Labor Government will support private enterprises wanting to do business here.”
Quotes attributed to Minister for Primary Industry and Resources, Paul Kirby:
“The Territory Labor Government’s focus on creating local jobs and supporting local businesses is being delivered through the commencement of these projects."
“Under our Government, we are seeing confidence in the Territory’s mining sector and strong interest in our resources - will continue to support investment into the Territory’s mining sector – creating local business opportunities and delivering local jobs.”
Media contact: Cameron Angus 0404 021 192