General skilled migration

Please read important information if you already live in Australia.

The Australian Government’s Visa Finder can help you find the right visa.

Here are some general skilled migration visa options for you to consider.

Skilled - Independent (Permanent) (subclass 189) visa

This is a points-tested visa. It is for skilled overseas citizens not nominated by an employer, a state or territory government or a family member.

If you wish to apply for this visa, you must lodge an expression of interest using the Australian Government’s SkillSelect service.

Read more about the Skilled - Independent (Permanent) (subclass 189) visa

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) visa and Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visas

You can get information on Northern Territory nomination for these visas at Northern Territory Government visa nomination.

Please read the common questions for NT Government visa nominations.

Woman serving food

Department of Home Affairs limit of EOI invitations

The Australian Government has placed a limit on the number of visas available for the General Skilled Migration Program for each of the eligible skilled occupations.

The Northern Territory Government will tell you if they cannot nominate you because your occupation has reached its quota.