Business Innovation and Investment Program (subclass 188 and 888 visas)
Australia's Northern Territory Government can nominate eligible overseas business people and investors for Business Innovation and Investment visas.
Nomination by a state or territory government is mandatory for all visas in the Business Innovation and Investment Program except the Significant Investor visa and Premium Investor visa.
There are two visa subclasses and several streams in each visa subclass.
Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) (subclass 188) visa
This is a four year provisional visa.
State or territory sponsorship is mandatory for all streams except the Significant Investor, Premium Investor and Significant Investor Extension Streams and Australia's Northern Territory (NT) may be able to waive the age requirement if it nominates you.
Streams for this visa include:
- the Investor Stream for those who make at least a AU$1.5 million investment into NT Treasury Corporation Territory Bonds
- the Significant Investor Stream for those who invest at least AU$5 million into complying significant investments
- the Business Innovation Stream for those who have a successful history of doing business and wish to do business and invest in the NT
- the Premium Investor Stream for those who invest at least AU$15 million into complying premium investments
- the Entrepreneur Stream for entrepreneurs who have a funding agreement from a third party for at least AU$200 000 to undertake a complying entrepreneur activity.
The Business Innovation Extension Stream and Significant Investor Extension Stream are for those who hold a Business Innovation or Significant Investor visa and need an extension to meet the Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) (subclass 888) visa criteria.
Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) (subclass 888) visa
This is a permanent residence pathway for holders of the Provisional Business Investment and Innovation (subclass 188) visa.
Support from your nominating state or territory is required. If you were not initially nominated by the NT then you will need a letter of release from that state or territory before the NT Government will consider nominating you for the permanent visa.
You must have complied with Australian taxation, workplace and relevant business laws.
Further information for Business Innovation and Investment applicants
Information on investment and doing business in the NT is available through:
For more information contact MigrationNT.