The Northern Territory Government seeks the development and operation of a new and unique mixed use resort development in Alice Springs. The project will deliver accommodation and tourism products to build on existing Alice Springs tourism offerings while displaying a point of difference. Project elements could include but are not limited to:
- boutique / luxury or other accommodation displaying a point of difference when compared to existing offerings
- boutique retail offerings, and
- new tourism attractions, building on locational advantages such as Indigenous population and culture, or outdoor adventure activities such as mountain biking, hiking and rock climbing.
The Northern Territory Government’s strategic and economic objectives of the development are to:
- enable increased tourism visitation to Alice Springs, along with increased length of stay
- provide the impetus for further economic development including through private investment, and
- drive economic growth through opportunities to enhance local businesses during construction and providing ongoing jobs for Territorians.
Tourism is a significant economic driver for the Northern Territory with the sector offering a range of unique natural and cultural experiences to national and international visitors. Tourism in the Territory is estimated to be worth AU$2.189 billion to the economy (GVA) and directly employs 17 300 (6.9% of the Territory’s employment).
The Northern Territory Government recognises the economic development potential in Alice Springs and has committed to invest:
- AU$20 million into revitalising the Alice Springs CBD
- AU$50 million for the development of a National Aboriginal Art Gallery in Alice Springs, and
- AU$20 million for a National Aboriginal Cultural Centre in Alice Springs.
The Northern Territory is keen to partner with the private sector to develop a new and unique mixed use resort development in Alice Springs, which will drive economic development, boost tourism and create jobs for Territorians.
The Northern Territory Government is currently undertaking prefeasibility studies for the project with a view to approaching the market to seek private sector investment for this exciting opportunity.
Disclaimer: This web page includes information provided by third parties. The information is general in nature and is for information purposes only. The Northern Territory Government makes no representation about the veracity or accuracy of information provided by third parties. You must rely on your own due diligence before proceeding. You should consider seeking independent professional advice.