View the transcript for the making waves in the Australian space industry video.
Commercial ground station infrastructure at the Centre for Appropriate Technology’s (CfAT) 38 hectare Heath Road site. The site has space available for two to three additional ground station developments.
Why the Territory
The site’s competitive advantages include:
- more than 250 days a year of clear skies
- clear line of sight 5º above the horizon
- very low background light pollution (sky quality meter readings above 20)
- established spectrum licences for existing operations
- 1GBPS optical fibre cable on-site
- mains power 300Kv transformer, mains water and sewage
- 100m2 of office space available for on-site commercial rental
- only 10 minutes from Alice Springs airport and CBD
- only three hours by air from all Australian mainland capital cities.
A proven location
CfAT currently hosts:
- Geoscience Australia’s earth observation ground station, consisting of two 9m antennas
- Viasat commercial ground station comprising two 7.3m antennas and associated infrastructure which forms part their global Real-Time Earth network
- ArianeGroup’s optical telescope expanding its GeoTracker space situational awareness network.
CfAT Satellite Enterprises Ltd
CfAST Satellite Enterprises is a wholly owned subsidiary of CfAT. It can:
- construct ground station facilities to a high standard
- provide facilities maintenance services.
- source equity finance to fund the development of commercial satellite ground station infrastructure on its Alice Springs property (for example, Viasat's $6 million development was financed through a loan to CfAT Satellite Enterprises from their funding partner).
For further information on the space industry in the Northern Territory, go to the Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade website.
General Manager - Satellite Enterprises
Centre for Appropriate Technology
Director - Space and Digital
Department of the Chief Minister and Cabinet
Disclaimer: This web page includes information provided by third parties. The information is general in nature and is for information purposes only. The Northern Territory Government makes no representation about the veracity or accuracy of information provided by third parties. You must rely on your own due diligence before proceeding. You should consider seeking independent professional advice.
Images © Commonwealth of Australia (Geoscience Australia) 2019